Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Los jovenes

Every night was a surprise.

We started at Mauro's home until about 6 in the morning one of the first evenings. The events ranged from  eating, Truco, Playstation, music, chatting, etc.

There was a night of Mexican food, where I got to teach some how to make tortillas from scratch, as well as how to appropriately fold the burrito.

Another night we grabbed late night Grido (which was also the night I said hello to our artesan friends who gave me my first "trenza").

On a more serious note, they had asked me to prepare a couple meetings on group dynamics and leadership. We acted out various group roles with a certain task to complete. Eze the Charlatan was the most interesting (read, "hilarious"), and I believe it helped everyone start thinking about what people are like, why they are that way, and how to respond. The chat about leadership focused on the example of Moses, who seemed to be training up Joshua to follow in his footsteps. We too, need to think about those who follow us, how to encourage them in their journey toward leadership.

In general, the young adults wanted to help with the other ministries. Less events planned for them (did I mention that there was a Bible reading one night?), and more serving the others. Pretty neat to see their willingness to volunteer.

Back to playtime, we played more cards (including Uno); with a few I got to play paddle ball for the first time which was a lot of fun; more asado; more Fernet; driving around the city center during the wee hours of the night.

Laughing. Sharing stories about the accidents we've been in. Sharing lives in general. If I could survive on less than 3 hours a night, I think it would be worth it with the young adults in Saenz Peña. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment