Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Painful, but hopeful

Last Friday, I had stayed in the kitchen to intentionally get some one on one time with Ale. She is very strong-willed, but you would be too at 16 and pregnant with your second child. At least I assume so. She has gone through a lot.

I had to pray fervently for the words and questions to come during this time in the kitchen. I honestly don't  know what to say most of the time in these situations, with the boys in the other institute neither, but I will always try. I asked about her brothers and sisters, about what she likes do, simple things... to get to know her and try not to cross lines of intimacy when we haven't built as much trust apart from being consistent. (But even in that regard, I have only been back to visit the girls for two full weeks--nothing.)

Yesterday God had already blessed our friendship. Ale pulled me aside to sit with her during merienda and we chatted for about half an hour. She asked about the US and we got to talking about the danger and violence in the cities. She asked if I knew anyone who had been robbed, or anyone who had been violated, and I thought about it.

"Yes, actually." I proceeded to tell of a close family member that had suffered before. "Do you know anyone?"

She looked at me. "Did you know that my first child was from rape?"

I was certainly wondering, but based on her explanations about her present boyfriend, the father of the current child in her tummy, I figured it might be the same guy. Then again, the math doesn't work, because Luciano is three. I repeat, Ale is 16 years old.

I wanted to cry for both her and Lucho. I told her how sorry I was that she had that experience. At the same time, I was thankful for the opportunity to talk more openly about her past. This moment opened up more talk about her parents as well, how they have never been in the picture until just last year.

More to pray for; more to think about. Thanks God for the opportunity. Chau

No comments:

Post a Comment