Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

The way things are, pt. 2

"At the end of our time together, I have a surprise for you," shouted Cecilia, my gym trainer, over the blaring music that kept our rhythm for the step class.

Many were eager for the news, but I'll admit that I was nervous. In the middle of one of our series, I noticed her pick up the phone and completely stop the lead. We continued, as obedient alums, but the change in her expression was duly noted. She slowly got back into rhythm and gave us another calorie-burning challenge.

"And the surprise?" one asked with enthusiasm, at the end of the hour.

"Chicas," she started. "My daughter, who is 17 years old, is pregnant."

I didn't respond, but observed the response from the crowd.

"Oh, that's great!"

"Three grandchildren in one year!"

"Well, just remember, God will give us the strength we need to get through it."

She mentioned that she has two students of the gym who are 19 years old with two kids, and they told her that they are "re-contentas" or very happy. "So that gave me hope."

But you can tell that she was still a bit upset. Yes, she'll look on the bright side, and I felt like I was looking at Maria Elena again from earlier this year when she had heard the news that her older son's (Ezequiel) girlfriend was pregnant.

On my walk back home from the gym, I thought about the many pregnant people I've been seeing lately. I thought of how many of the mothers I see in general are still in their teens. On one hand, it's nice to have children young, because then your body is flexible enough to play all the games with your kids. On another hand, it's nice when you can plan a little bit to make sure your child grows up in a healthy atmosphere; two married parents, a good home, a good school, etc. etc.

I was telling someone the other day how if I were to approach Russia with a workshop about how to better it's community, I would start with the statistic about how many men die young due to alcoholism, and thus target that issue. Here, I think Argentina needs to face the issue of pre-marital sex, and how in the end, the kids suffer the most.

Sure, robbery and teenage pregnancy are "the way things are" around here, but that doesn't mean that it was the way God intended.

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment