Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Gladys

While I have a moment, I thought I might express the un-expressed from earlier.

You saw the picture of Gladys and I with our cat masks that we made last week. It was a beautiful Friday morning--the one we've added to the already busy schedule--and the necessary one in order to spend more time with the one and only mother in the teenage girls' institute.

She's "descapaz" which translates mentally slow. I don't mean this in a negative way toward her; I'm actually quite certain it has everything to do with the abuse she received from an older man in her home village. The reason she is in the institute to begin with. The reason that she treats her daughter Maria Luz more like a sister than a daughter, because Gladys is still needing and wanting the attention.

The reason that at 17, she is unable to read, and barely able to write.

I have had a full year with Gladys by this point and our friendship has been a roller coaster. Never has it been something where she's been mean towards me or the others, but she has often been distant as she was less forthcoming when the house was full. Now that we've had more focused time with her, she is all the more excited to receive us when we come both on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Last Friday, we had one of the better days with her. I was impressed, for instance, with her first time to make the craft of the day for her daughter as well. Maria Luz was entranced by my pink mask that I had made as an example, and wore atop my head during the time. So Gladys, always eager to make an extra craft for the other workers, decided this time to make one for Luz. I took pictures to remember the event. Printed the one in the previous post for myself, and the rest for Gladys for today. But before I get to today...

We met this Tuesday, and I came very close to retracting all of my positive feelings. It was like Gladys was a completely different person! She was pushing her daughter around, not helping make the torta that we brought to work on together, and saying bad words. I was confused and saddened, praying to God for the reason.

Then she explained how one of the former residents had made a recent visit and I connected the dots. This former resident also happens to be one of the worst of the bunch, and her influence was and is very strong on the others.

For as soon as I stepped inside of the institute today, Gladys was the one with whom I had grown accustom again. Miraculous.

I ended up coming alone this time. An intimidating first. I was nervous, but had a few moments to pray before Gladys came in. We played some Juegos de Mesa--Jenga, Memory and a couple puzzles. I made the Memory game from poster board, using pictures and words so she could practice reading. I noticed how she would guess based on the picture what was spelled, but by the end of the game she knew what each one said.

She asked if she could keep the game, and I asked if I could add more cards and give them to her next week. She agreed.

Additionally, I got to ask about what she remembered of our stories about Jesus that we have been sharing. She talked about how God punishes us for our sins. I got to explain that God placed the ultimate punishment on Christ. That through Jesus, instead of punishment we actually get grace--

Here's the thing. There are always these moments. We get to the core of something and get interrupted. It can be frustrating. It can also be exhilarating because it means we're doing something right and someone (with a lowercase s) wants to get in our way. To that I say John 16:33. Lord help us in this work, especially with the prospect of these institutes shutting down!

Prayers appreciated. Chau for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment