Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mouthpiece

My saxophone, sadly, has been sitting under my bed for these last few months. I think of the lost dreams of playing in San Martin plaza, or on a corner in general, and it actually makes me less inclined to pick it up and try again. A couple of friends have asked me about when I'm going to play and I shrug. I fear failure is the bottom line. On another level, I wish I had a teacher to help me get better, show me proper technique, and challenge me with various exercises.

Speaking of exercise, this sort of training is exactly what I have been receiving from Cecilia at a local gym. She doesn't exactly focus on me alone, but has been able to push me at times I would like to quit, or get by without working as hard. But back to the saxophone...

Or at least back to a story my parents have often related about a time when I was a little girl and I was busy drawing on a scrap piece of paper at church. During his sermon, the pastor had asked, "Is God a liar?" At which point I, head down, seemingly focused on my efforts with the pencil, shouted back.

"NOOOOO!!!"

The pastor apparently froze for a second and then regained himself. "Exactly," he said.

Eva pulled me aside just the other day to tell me about a conversation she was having with God one night. I had already gone to bed and was well into my REM cycle when she asked a question. "Was I prudent in that situation?" she had asked, in her mind.

Out of seemingly nowhere, I replied, "Yes." Except to stay true to the story, I said, "Sí."

It surprised her, as much as it surprised me when she later shared the story. I mean, has that ever happened to you? A sleeping person offers an answer to a question that you asked to God and God alone, in a language that is not native to the sleeping person?

I've been reading the book of John and contemplating what it means for John to be a mouthpiece for Jesus, and even for Jesus to be a mouthpiece for God.

Then it all comes back to the saxophone. I open the box to look at all of its parts: the mouthpiece, the reed, the body of the horn, the neck strap, the tools used to clean, the wax, the cork, etc. etc. Obviously there is the, every-part-counts metaphor. But it's something else. It's a surprise to me, to have been so clearly, and yet so simply, used in this way. Whenever I go through the downs of the rollercoaster missionary life and ask for yet another confirmation of my time here, I get one. God is that faithful.

Why can't I pick it up and try again? I have so many excuses I'd rather not go into. Why can't I let the fears pass and just go for it? How do I trust that this instrument is staying till the end, no matter how well or how poorly I play it? Ahh.. there's the metaphor I was going for.

Chau.

2 comments:

  1. The awkward silence was followed by a slow clap, followed by "Amens" then nice applause. The couple in front of us said "from the mouth of babes".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? I had no idea!!! Thanks for filling in that moment of history for me. I'm glad a slow clap was involved.

    ReplyDelete