Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Mariposista is a great word

Swimming lessons can be a double entendre, which I am very much into these days. The first lesson, is that of learning the basics of the butterfly today and this past Wednesday. It has been fun to learn, even if it is rather tiresome and I can't do more than one pool-length at a time. For now. But how fun is it to call myself a Mariposista, no?

The next lesson is that of putting things together. Focusing on each part, so that the whole may benefit.

Specifically, with the breast stroke, or that one style that makes you look like a frog. I still feel like it's an unusual form of swimming. Maybe because all along I wasn't doing it right--and I could feel that that was the case. So when I went to my first summer class, I told the new profe that I felt like something was wrong. When he watched me go, he was able to tell me exactly where I had fallen short.

Instead of just showing me, he divided the style in two parts. The brazada, or arms, part, and the patada, or feet part. I would go back and forth between the two--pool length after pool length--until both were mastered.

Finally, when he had confidence in me to put the two together, I went for it. After the first intake of water up the nose and mouth, I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. But the very next attempt felt just right. It felt different from what I had done before..

I still believe the breast stroke is an odd one. But I get it now, and I relate it to the spiritual life:

My friend Ceci and I were reading the Bible together the other day. She explained to me how she is not the best at studying the Bible, and in part it is because she doesn't have a method that she goes by. I told her about using a commentary which she could easily find online, as well as taking personal notes. It would be good if she could combine them, but if she should just focus on one or the other for now.. slowly build herself up to both, she would get a lot out of her studies. I know because it helps me a lot!

(That, and listening to sermons all the time!)

Any way, it kind of makes sense. Maybe I just wanted to brag (in the least sinful way possible?) about the fact that I can butterfly now! haha

chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment