Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Sliced bread

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but perhaps a combination of the following:
  • Facebook statuses commenting on a blizzard outside.
  • Christmas music played by my roommate, particularly Bing Crosby's "White Christmas."
  • Seeing sliced bread at Ari and Carol's apartment.
  • Making some Christmas presents for my Argentinian friends.
  • The countdown to my parents coming to see me.
I just know I'm at a point where I'm really missing home right now. It's not completely a bad thing to miss home--it's proof that you care. For instance, I know that Christmas Spectacular at 4Cs is going on sometime soon, and I so wish I could be there to cheer on my students (especially the now Senior girls).

But some of the things are funny for me to miss, and borderline selfish.

Why, for example, should I feel sad about not having snow? I've only had snow for 2 years of my life during Christmas time, and one of those wasn't even in the States. While I don't know if I've ever had 100 degree, excuse me 40 degree (Celsius), weather for these holidays either, something inside me would really like a white Christmas.

Or maybe it's that I have an internal desire to watch the movie with the same name. I borrowed the first Narnia movie, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Perhaps I miss getting to wear the warm clothes. Seeing friends' beautiful scarves makes me jealous I can't wear mine. Silly, but true.

Then there's something else. It was that loaf of sliced bread. Just sitting there in the cupboard. Sliced bread? Can you believe it?* We've just been buying loaves and cutting them up whenever we have hamburgers (which is rare). We usually stick with the tortilla plan.

Sliced bread is so easy! I can have toast in the morning. I can make a sandwich for lunch, as I often did for the past two years at work! When you don't have to cut your own bread, you don't have crumbs everywhere. A quick fix, a simple snack. Why does sliced bread create such a reaction in me?

The snowball effect (no pun intended)--sliced bread led to me thinking about the other conveniences of home. Wendy's. Driving my own car. Buying pre-made Christmas cards. Starbucks.

Wait--I don't even like Starbucks except for when I was meeting with people!

Maybe that's it? I'm lacking as much social interaction as I used to have? The language barrier makes it difficult to have as many friends because of how much I can communicate. I remember talking with another friend who was a missionary in Germany and how much he loathed not being able to just talk to people like he could back home.

No, no and no. I don't miss Starbucks and the coffee I never drank. I like drinking mate and basic tea in the mornings here. I still meet with enough people to be considered social, and in the grand scheme of things I had plenty of loner moments in the States too. It's like remembering a vacation, somehow we always only remember the best parts. We forget the tough times of traveling or getting lost (unless getting lost is a great story) or fighting each other. We remember the adventures, the views, etc.

"Home" comes with just as many problems as here. What someone views as a convenience another views as a waste. Why can't you just cut your own bread? Cutting your own bread builds character. Okay, maybe that's a stretch, but making your own Christmas cards isn't. Show someone you really care by making a personalized card instead of buying in bulk. Maybe..

God spoils me more than I can imagine with the coming of my parents. I know plenty of people around the world who won't be spending Christmas with their family because they are missionaries in a foreign land. It either isn't safe, or too expensive to visit. I could not be more grateful that I am an exception and not the rule. Truly, He is more merciful to us than we deserve.

I have been reading Romans for the second time in the past month and a half and I am reminded of God's great mercy to not only the Gentiles through Jesus, but how much more mercy is extended to the Israelites as well. If God showed this much mercy to the nations by sending His one and only Son, how much more is shown to the Israelites who do not harden their hearts to Jesus' offer of salvation!

Wow it feels good to write what I'm feeling, even if it's not always the happiest at times. Chau.

*This question inspired by Ari.

No comments:

Post a Comment