Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I haven't forgotten

I have been needing to update on girls' institute life. It has a lot to do with not being much to share, but nonetheless, worth a blog.

When we first arrived, we had one girl--Belen. She happened to be a difficult one from last year. I remember trying to talk with her, but she simply would never talk back. And not the timid not talk, but the gives me a slight scowl not talk. Intimidating.

We had the idea that this year, we could bring Eva from our OM team along more often, because she is a very talented woman (she continues to surprise me with all that she can make or do!). So for the first week, we tested it out by having Eva teach some basic crochet. Turns out, Belen just needs something to keep her concentration. She did a great job with the basic circle and in fact, brought a small pizza size circle of blue yarn with her the next week completed. You should have seen the look of pride in her face!

Unfortunately, she was gone within the next week, and we have been with Jessica ever since. Jessica has always been easy to please. I think she just likes hanging out with people, although she does love living in such a large facility without anyone else to fight with. So far we have made bracelets, done a little bit of crochet, and drawn together.

The challenge with the girls' institute is not only that there are so few girls and it often feels like we don't accomplish much, but also the fact that it's hard to get good conversation going. I ask basic questions as much as I can--how are you? how is school? what did you do this weekend?--but the answers are often terse. I could use prayer for perseverance as well as ideas for good questions given my still limited Spanish (though praise God for how much has been learned thus far!). Prayer to keep the conversation going between us!

I am encouraged that there is always an open door for us, as every director has gotten more involved with our time spent together. There have even been weeks where is just the extranjeros, Sarah and I, going by ourselves and without the fear we probably would have had last spring. I also see one of the director's during my weekly walks, and we always shoot the breeze a bit before continuing on. Nonetheless, I know there is more we can do for them!

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment